Sunday, March 20, 2011

Hush Puppies

I don't know about you, but there are times I would just love to go out and grab some deep fried junk food but don't want to spend the money.  I recently came across a recipe for hush puppies.  I thought, why not, let's give this puppy a try....of course I made sure I had everything BEFORE starting the recipe...I was not about to run to the store for 1 thing...only because I'm cheap trying to cut costs.  :o)


Hush Puppies
1 C self-rising flour (you can find this recipe in a prior post)
1 C cornmeal
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
Dash of tabasco (any brand will do)
Milk
Oil for frying

Mix the first 8 ingredients together.  Add milk, a little at a time, until you have the right consistency (you should have a thick batter).  Drop by teaspoonful into oil one at a time.  Remove when golden brown.

This recipe did not indicate the oil temp, but I made sure my oil was at 350.  I have a candy thermometer that clips to the side of my pan...do NOT let the tip touch the bottom of the pan to prevent a false reading.

Everything is out and ready to be measured.   :o)


Batter is mixed and ready to be fried


As you can see, it's thick and doesn't fall off of the spoon too easily


Not a great picture but I just dropped my first spoonful of batter into the oil


All cooked and ready to be set to the side and wait for the rest


The whole batch is ready and the kids are salivating


This really is an easy recipe to throw togther.  The whole family will love them and they are oh so yummy!  Happy cooking!

I'm linked to these fun parties!

Skip to my Lou

3 comments:

  1. These seem easy enough to make! My son LOVES hush puppies, but we only ever get them if we go to Silver Bay restaurant.....and that's like once a year. I'm going to have to try these soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lisa they are way easy to make. My children love them as well and they never got them unless we went out to eat and that is almost never, so when I found this recipe I knew I had to give it a shot. They are a HUGE hit in our house and don't last long. Believe it or not they are good even when they are cold! Good luck and let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always in the mood for deep fried anything =o) These sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...