Friday, March 18, 2011

Recycled Playhouse

Remember my post about getting chickens, building a coop and then tearing it down?  Well after all of that business we searched craigslist and found a playhouse that someone was getting rid of.  It cost us a whole $35 and all we had to do was move it...you can't beat that...and made out of real wood, even better!

We contacted a few friends and they willingly helped us move the playhouse.  They brought a trailer and 7 men picked up that playhouse, put it on the trailer, brought it to our house, took apart our fence, carried the playhouse to it's resting spot and put my fence back together.  Whew, that was a lot of work....and all I had to do was get ice water and order pizza...sweeeet!

Here is the playhouse after it was put in it's final resting spot.  A little rough, yes, but I am a crafty kind of gal and I had all kinds of ideas running through my head!!!

Here's the inside...oh the visions are endless and this is so exciting!


After a little painting and quite a bit of elbow grease the outside was close to being completed.

Now to tackle the inside.  I not only had to make a home for my chickens but for the quail we had aquired....yes, quail.  Oh boy, more birds!

I think it looks like a cozy little pad for all the kids.  They were a little unsure at first but soon took to it just fine.

Finally the inside was complete and I could put our quail in their new home.  They seemed quite happy, as was I, until I realized how difficult it was to feed and water them.

Eventually I had to modify the quail coop, move around the roost for my chickens and add a heater in there so the water wouldn't freeze during the winter...and so we could still have eggs, since they don't lay when they are cold.  This project wasn't too bad and I will be doing a few more modifications this year. 

If you are considering getting chickens, please do!  There is nothing better than being able to collect your very own fresh eggs and recycling the waste to use for natural fertilizer.

2 comments:

  1. Wow!! What an awesome find!! We've been wanting to get some chickens, too...but the thought of building a coop is daunting to me! (Now if only I could find one of these on Craigslist, too...) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your kind words. This wasn't posted on CL, I put a post out saying I was looking for a playhouse and someone contacted me, so you could try that. I would encourage everyone to get chickens! They provide food and are a great learning tool for little ones.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...