Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Challenge #5: Quick Yeast Rolls

My husband made a wonderful chicken tonight and asked that I make dinner rolls to go with the chicken.  He wanted a bread like his mother used to make and being as we don't have a recipe I had to search the internet.  I finally located a recipe here that he thought I should try.

Quick Yeast Rolls
2 tbsp shortening
3 tbsp sugar
1 C hot water; about 105 degrees F
1 package of yeast
1 egg; beaten
1 tsp salt
2 1/4 C flour

I gathered all of my ingredients...

I added my yeast to the water so it could dissolve

I then added the remainder of the ingredients and stirred.  At this point I wasn't sure I had the recipe copied down correctly so I had to run to my computer and double check.  This dough was similar to a thick cake batter.  After double checking I realized that I had indeed copied the recipe correctly.  This can't be right.  Hmmmm.

I placed the batter aside to rise.  After about an hour it had doubled in size, it must be right.  I stirred the dough a couple of times and then greased my muffin tin.  When I attempted to transfer it to the muffin tin it was nothing but an ooey, gooey mess!  I was now completely frustrated and ready to give up on the rolls; and that would be why I have no pictures of this process, I was way too frustrated and forgot. 

I struggled through transferring the batter from the bowl to the muffin tin and placed it aside for the second rising (this was by no means an easy process because the dough was so sticky).  After another hour they had definitely doubled in size and were looking more like dinner rolls.  Whew!

It was time for me to pick my son up from school and take him to piano practice so I had to, reluctantly, leave my husband in charge of baking the rolls.  He contacted me to tell me the rolls were done baking but he thought they may have baked a couple of minutes too long.

Here are what the rolls looked like after baking.  I didn't want them this dark but I had other commitments I had to tend; no point in crying over spilled milk, right!  :o(

In the midst of making the rolls I swore I would never again try this recipe.  However, after tasting them, well, I can now say that I definitely spoke too soon.  Yes, they turned out a bit dark but they were very light, airy and oh so yummy.  Next time I will make it a point to be home so I can finish this recipe myself.  Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...