Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A 5 year old's perspective

On Wednesday or Thursday, which ever day I have time, I walk the neighborhood and collect papers that people don't want so I can snag up the extra coupons.  This is my time to just walk, think and have a few moments to myself.  Tonight happened to be the night I decided to walk and collect papers but this time the boys wanted to go with me.  My husband said no because they were already in their footed jammies.  I looked at my husband and whispered, "Just let them go, it will wear them out a bit and they will go to sleep much faster!"  My husband gave in and told the boys they could go with me.

Now, any other day I would have rolled my eyes and then snuck out of the house, but I was happy to have them with me.  I wanted to spend some time with them outside, no work, no busy schedule, just walking hand in hand with them and talking about the day.  It had been raining earlier and I wasn't sure if it would start raining during our walk so we all put on our rain jackets and our rain boots and headed out the door.  This was going to be fun, we would walk, talk, hold hands, laugh and stomp in the puddles along the way.  The boys love taking turns picking up the papers and putting them in mommy's 'pink newspaper bag.'

Finally our walk was over, we had collected the papers and were headed home.  It was a nice walk with a cool breeze and lots of puddles to walk through.  We were almost home when my 5 year old looked up and me and said, "Mommy.  Why don't we like money like other people like money?"  I was confused and said, "We like money.  Why would you think we don't like money?"  As innocent as could be he responds with, "Well, we use coupons to pay for everything and other people use money to pay for things."  I couldn't help but laugh.  It was so innocent and so cute.  I never thought about coupons that way.  I then explained that coupons were a form of money, they were just printed on a different kind of paper.

This just goes to show that the way we see the world isn't necessarily the way our children see the world.  It was at that very moment that I realized just how precious my children really are and how much I enjoy spending time with them.  My actions today not only shape their world but teach them many valuable life lessons.  By showing them that I save money by using coupons, it will help them learn the value of a dollar, how to save money for their future and that there is no reason to be ashamed of pinching pennies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...