Saturday, August 6, 2011

Baked Pork Chops

This is one of my husband's favorite dishes and it's quite easy to make.

I season my chops with whatever I grab out of the cupboard; generally I use Basil, Oregano, Parsley, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder and Pepper.  I then fry them for a couple of minutes on each side.  If they begin to stick just add a little water to the pan and continue to brown.  You want them a light golden brown on each side, but don't cook them all the way through.
I then place them in a 9x13 pan while I make my gravy.  Now no worries if you don't know how to make gravy, it's super easy and just takes a little practice.  With my step-by-step directions you will be able to make it with no problems at all.

When you make your gravy you want to use the same pan you used to fry your chops.  I don't clean my pan because I want the drippings from the chops.  Turn off your fire...if you are using and electric stove just move the pan to another burner.  Add a little milk and mix it all together.  Once everything is mixed pretty good, turn the fire back on or put your pan back on the burner you were using.  Heat the mixture until it comes to a soft boil.  Turn down your heat and let the mixture cook for a few minutes; stir constantly so it doesn't burn.

You will see the mixture begin to brown...this is good.  Continue to cook until mixture is smooth.

Remove your pan from the heat a second time and grab some flour and toss it in (about a table spoon or so)...be sure NOT to have the fire on, or the pan on the electric burner you have been using, you don't want heat on the pan at this point.  Take a whisk and mix everything together...I use a rubber coated whisk when cooking with my pans because they are non-stick pans and I don't want to ruin the finish. 

Once the mixture is smooth, put heat back on your pan and cook on low.  Cook the flour mixture until it begins to thicken.

I continue to cook my mixture until a paste forms. 

Now that I have my paste I remove my pan from the heat and add more milk.  I don't measure any of this, I just kind of eye-ball it.  I usually put in enough milk so the bottom of the pan is covered and it's about 1/2 inch deep.  I use my whisk to mix everything together...there will be a few small lumps, no worries.

I place my mixture back on the heat and cook until thickened.  You want a gravy consistency at this point.  There won't be a lot but don't worry, you aren't finished just yet.

Once my mixture has thickened and it's the desired consistency, I take 2 cans of creamed of chicken or cream of mushroom soup, pour them into a bowl and add 1 soup can of milk.

Combine the soup and milk and then pour the gravy from your pan into your soup/milk mixture.

Combine the gravy, soup and milk until smooth.

Pour this mixture over your pork chops.  You want to be sure that your chops are completely covered with the soup/gravy mix so adjust the recipe accordingly.

Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven for a minimum of 1 hour.  Be sure you don't cover the pan or you will end up with a soupy gravy.  You want the liquid to thicken during baking.  When you remove your chops from the oven, allow to sit for about 10 minutes, stir the gravy while in the baking dish and then serve over chops or mashed potatoes.
This may seem like a difficult recipe but it's actually very easy.  Yes, there are many steps but it is totally worth it in the end.  This is the perfect meal to make because you can toss it in the oven and go about your business and you don't have to turn or stir anything during the baking process.

I hope you have enjoyed this recipe and if you try it please let me know what you think.  Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...