Saturday, August 6, 2011

Marinara Sauce

I have a plethora of tomatoes to use up so I decided to make a homemade Marinara sauce for dinner the other night.  I used a red wine, salt, pepper, minced garlic, diced onion and herbs that I grabbed from my garden.  I don't remember which herbs I grabbed, I think it was basil, oregano, parsley and cilantro.  Sorry, just grabbed them and went back to cooking.  Oooops.   :o)
I blanched my tomatoes for about a minute and then shocked them.  Blanch: place tomatoes in a pot of boiling water for about 30-60 seconds.  Shock: place tomatoes in a bowl of ice water.  You blanch and shock so the skins are easy to remove.  Once the tomatoes were skinned, I removed the seeds by squeezing my tomatoes into a bowl.  Place the tomato pieces into a separate dish and then strain the seed mixture so you get the juices and not the seeds.  You won't be able to remove all of the seeds, but that's okay, it won't hurt anything.  Here is what I was left with after the seeds were removed.

Place your tomatoes to the side and cook your onions and herbs.  I put about 1 tbsp of olive oil in a pan and cooked my onions until they were carmelized; light brown in color. 

I then added my herbs, garlic, salt and pepper.  Mix until everything is combined, about 2 minutes.  I then added about 1/2 C of red wine...any red wine will do.  If you don't have wine or prefer not to use wine, use about 1/2 C of chicken broth.  Cook an additional 5 minutes, until the wine smell is gone, and then add your tomatoes.

Cook this entire mixture on low until most of the liquid has dissolved.  You want this to be almost paste like...you know what Marinara looks like, right?  Just cook until it is the desired consistency.  Serve on the side or over your favorite dish.  I served mine as dipping sauce for homemade Calzones.

Yeah, I know, my Calzones don't look pretty but they sure tasted good!  As usual, thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...